Chronicle of the Mariana Islands Recorded in the Agana Parish Church 1846-1899
Chronicle of the Mariana Islands is a treasure-trove of Chamorro nineteenth century memorabilia.
Over time, the CHamoru people of the Mariana Islands have been subjected to the ravishes of natural disasters, pestilence, war, and myriads of disquieting circumstances. After the arrival of the Spanish missionaries in the islands, such events were recorded, first by the Jesuits (1668-1769), and later by their successors, the Augustinian Recollects (1789-1908). The many Jesuit records have long been available; those of the Augustinians have been conspicuous by their absence. In 1969, an abridged version of a long sought after nineteenth century register, or chronicle, known to have been kept in the Hagåtña parish church was presented to the Micronesian Area Research Center, thereby confirming the survival of at least portions of the parish's Libro de cosas notables (The Book of Notable Things). For today’s readers, the Chronicle of the Mariana Islands is a treasure-trove of Chamorro nineteenth century memorabilia.
Marjorie G. Driver